Mercury Glass DIY.

01 May 2014


I've seen mercury glass popping up all over Pinterest for a while now, but when I searched online to buy some of it for my room, I was horrified at the price. After digging a little deeper, I found some pretty similar DIYs and decided to have a go attempting them for myself, before letting you know how they went. 

You will need: 

Silver Spray Paint - This needs to be Mirror Finish and preferably Krylon Looking Glass Spray Paint  but this is unavailable in Britain, and really hard to get hold of
Glass Vase, Candle Holder, e.t.c. (whatever you are looking to spray) 
Spray bottle with half water, half vinegar
Tissues

The method is fairly simply, but can take a little while to master, since it is really easy to get the spray coat thickness wrong. All you need to do is spray the whole thing in quick, light bursts, wait a couple of minutes to dry and then spray with the water/vinegar mixture that you prepared earlier. Then the magic happens, and the paint is eaten away, giving it that worn, antique type look. To speed up the process, you can rub a bit with tissues, and then just repeat until you are happy with the final look.

Simples!

I really like the look it gives, and it has definitely given me a bit of inspiration to be more adventurous with DIYs in the future. Will you try this, are there any DIYs that you would recommend for me to try out?




TwitterBloglovinPinterestTumblr

21 comments:

  1. Oh, that's so pretty! Lovely DIY :-)

    http://stainsofpaint.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so great! I love it - need to try it soon

    http://www.mercuteify.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely flowers !
    Sara,
    http://thecrimeofashion.blogspot.fr

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before I realise it said DIY I honestly thought it was a real deal, the effect looks great, the flowers are so pretty too!
    Imogen
    www.eloquenceandflair.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute, I will definitely try if my vases need a face lift ^_^

    Laila from Townhouse Palette ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. love!
    xx
    daniella
    simplybeautifulelegant.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This came out great! Super lovely! Thanks for sharing!
    Kallie @ But First, Coffee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this DIY! Looks great :)

    Caitlin | Thistle & Tea

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a fabulous DIY idea! Also love your No 5 watercolour in the bg :)

    Josie xoxo | Fashion Mumblr

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a lovely DIY! Yours turned out perfect! I need to try this!!
    Nikki | http://floralsundays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. How gorgeous. I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love your blog, one of my favourites in a long time. I have just had to grab your button! It's so pretty! Xxx Bean's Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. And your pic is soooo pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey lovely, I've nomianted you for the very inspiring blogger award :) x
    Details are on my blog

    Angi~
    iidifferentworlds.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great picture!
    Thank you for sharing!
    Have a fab weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this looks really nice indeed, it's so much more satisfying when you know that you've made it yourself :)
    Amy x | A Little Boat Sailing

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this DIY! Also, your images are great!

    Mindy

    www.kindofluxe.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks fab with the flowers in! Where did you get the Chanel No5 print in the background by the way? xo
    http://victoriarosebeaute.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks gorgeous & so simple to do. I'm certainly going to try this. Thx !!
    http://misspaperfection.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I read every single message.
I love people leaving links so I can check out your blogs, but please don't ask me to follow you or follow for follow!
If you leave a nice message, however, I will check out your blog and probably follow you x